Sunday, December 18, 2011

akwaaba!

So I am getting more and more excited to go to Ghana!  I just practiced a few language lessons that the Peace Corps website provided, and I cannot wait to fully learn it!!!  As I said before, I went to Ghana my junior year of college, and while there, I learned a few phrases.  Naturally, when I heard these same phrases during the language lessons, I got a little pumped  :-)


http://users.elite.net/runner/
jennifers/welcome1.htm
I am just so infatuated with languages.  I took Spanish in high school, but unfortunately never took another language course (in high school or in college).  I feel as though a spoken or written language connects two strangers.  As it turns out, two people who (as far as they know) have nothing in common, do in fact have at least one level of connection:  conversation.  I want to converse and teach and laugh in a new language.  I want to be able to connect as much as I can with the people around me.  Since communication will be the first thing I have in common with Ghanaians, it makes me want to learn the language a million times more and a billion times faster.  And before I know it, I will (bittersweet-ly) be saying to my new friends and family Yεbεhyia bi.  Which translated in English is not "goodbye", but simply "we shall meet again."

No comments:

Post a Comment