Tuesday, October 16, 2012

light journal reading - part 3


September 16, 2012

Let’s talk about my first week teaching!  As far as I know, it seemed to go well!  For the most part, the students seem respectful.  I had some issues with my form 1’s towards the end of the week, but it seemed every teacher did.  In one of my classes (I forget which form), I gave them 5 problems to work on.  I also told them if they wanted more points they could come up with their own questions and answer them and I would mark (yes, mark, not grade) them.  And to my surprise, the majority of the students did more problems!!  It made me so excited!  I’m sure it seems small, but it really made my day.  Every morning, I am greeted by students who offer to carry my things for me.  I have about a 30 second walk, but I always happily agree.  I also have students who walk by my house after school and always talk to me.  Some are genuine, and I think others are just trying to test me.  So I’m trying to stand my ground.  Especially at first.  I had another teacher tell me he thinks the students are really interested in what I am teaching.  They come up to me and ask me questions during breaks.  It makes me feel like I’m actually getting some of them interested in the topic.  But it’s also exhausted.  I remember only wanting to sleep after my day on Friday.  I was pooped.  But overall, I think the week went well.  Notice how I didn’t journal all week?  Yep, that’s how tired I was. 

Which brings me to my weekend.  Friday was stressful at school.  I just wanted to spend the rest of the afternoon relaxing.  I spent some time in town doing nothing, waiting to meet up with my headmaster.  We finally meet up and we have a drink.  He figures out that I had Pascal go around and find estimates for a wardrobe and a few tables.  He asked me why I didn’t consult him about it first.  Oh, he wasn’t very happy with me.  I told him I didn’t mean to offend anyone and that it’s much different in America.  I told him he has to tell me these things, because I’m still learning the culture.  So after that point, I think we’re good.  Saturday I go and meet up with Sheila who is a weaver I met last week.  I sat at her house/compound for several hours.  There were so many women there.  It’s t hen that I realize I have not made friends with any older women.  Only men.  I also realize that I enjoyed being around these women.  Music was playing and every once in a while they would start dancing.  I told them they would have to teach me these dances some time. Sheila’s sister Sawla made me some food too!  Fried yams and plantains and the spiciest pepe I have ever tasted.  And Sheila agreed.  The pepe was “too much.” (Pepe…pronounced pep-pay…is like a spicy salsa like thing).  It was just so fun to sit and talk and laugh with all these women.  There were a bunch of kids there who called me Sister Jessica or Auntie Jessica.  It was adorable.  Sheila and another woman (Update:  her name is Vida and I love her!) pulled out the loom and began setting up their weaving.  Holy crap is that time consuming!  And it’s just the set up!  I didn’t stay long because I was meeting my headmaster.  We met at a spot and drank some pito.  We were in a big group and everyone was talking.  In Dagaare.  So I didn’t chime in much.  It started to pour, so we moved under shelter.  After the rain cleared, Roger showed up and we decided to leave because it was getting late.  I said goodbye to my headmaster and went on my way.  I was still feeling pretty blah at this point.  Roger and I go grab a bottle at a nearby spot, and he doesn’t seem happy either.  Maybe it’s just the day?  I’m just ready to go home at this point.  We make it home finally after discovering my bike has a flat tire.  Perfect.  Roger says he’ll fix it tomorrow.  Okay good.  That means I won’t have to spend loads of money on it.  I climb into bed and relax finally and fall asleep.  Sunday.  I spent most of the morning reading.  Janet came over to help me with my laundry.  Awesome.  Because my hands are irritated for some unknown reason and are killing me.  I’m still not in the best of moods.  All the kids just sit and hang out.  I am not in the mood to entertain.  I feel bad, but I keep reading.  They seem content for the most part.  After an hour or so, they leave and Roger comes over.  He collects my bike to fix it.  I love that man.  He brings it back maybe 30 minutes later and we decide to go into town.  We stop at a spot and drink some pito.  He says he’s hungry and we should go grab some lunch at NVS (Nandom Vocational School).  Score!  I love NVS!  And jollaf!  It was a tad spicy, but delicious nonetheless.  We go visit Noella because she leaves for SHS today which is a boarding school.  She won’t be back until December.  Sad.  It looks like it’s about to rain, and I left my clothes on the line, so Roger and I decide to go to the market so we can head home.  I buy my few things (which include these delicious crunchy groundnut ball things) and we go.  Roger says he’ll bring some pito over and we can just sit and chat.  Okay.  I can handle that.  And it’s fun.  There was a point where he almost falls asleep mid-sentence and I find it hilarious.  We joked and laughed about it.  His son, Martin, was over and he actually DID fall asleep.  How precious.  He decides to leave to go prepare some food for his kids (well..someone will prepare it).  And here I sit.  I finally feel relaxed and calm.  It’s nice to have some alone time.  I’ve been surrounded by people so much recently.  I’m also missing my friends and family a lot.  I haven’t been able to find internet here, so that mega sucks.  Hopefully next weekend I can find some.  Whenever I get lights, I am buying a modem so I can get online whenever I please. (Update:  yep…didn’t wait for lights and I couldn’t be happier about buying a modem!)  Roger and I decided we are going to meet up with the Assembly Man this week to keep bugging him about lights.  I don’t mind sitting in the dark.  I just wish I could have some sort of contact with people back home.  I just hope it doesn’t make me miss them even more.  Hopefully the next few days turn out better than the last few.  I definitely have my fingers crossed!  I think now I will snack on something and figure out what new book I am going to start.  I hope it rains tonight.  It will relax me and make me happy.  Oh the little things =)

No comments:

Post a Comment