Wednesday, July 11, 2012

mr. counterpart goes to dondometeng


July 11, 2012

We left Anyinasin on Sunday afternoon and headed to a hotel/conference center in Kumasi.  Here in Kumasi is where we would be meeting our counterparts for the first time.  A counterpart is a Ghanaian teacher who teaches as the same school we are assigned to for the next 2 years.  This counterpart is also there to help us integrate into the community and help us with any questions or concerns we may have.  As we were meeting our counterparts, we were simultaneously told our sites.  These sites will be our homes for 2 years.  So we were all beyond anxious.  Here at the conference center, there is a large courtyard.  Peace Corps staff members drew (in chalk) a giant map of Ghana in said courtyard.  They divided the country up into its 10 regions.  I knew I would be going to the Upper West Region, but didn’t know exactly where.  And I also didn’t know my counterpart.  So of course I was anxious.  Mary and Joe B (Peace Corps staff members who are hugely in charge of sites and everything associated with it) would announce the site and region followed by the volunteer.  They came to the announcement in the Upper East Region.  We all knew it was Ethan in the Upper East.  They said “[insert school name here] in the Upper East Region……Jessica Keeton!”  Um….what?!?!?  Everybody was shocked!!!  I was just as shocked and hugged my counterpart with a huge smile on my face.  Then Mary and Joe B said “Just kidding…Ethan!!”  Haha!!! It was soooo funny!!  I wasn’t upset at all!  I got a huge kick out of it.  Anyway, my announcement was next.  “Dondometeng in the Upper West Region….Jessica!”  Ahhh!!! I was pumped!  And I met my counterpart too!  His name is Eric and he’s massive!  Haha!  We have gotten the chance to talk and what not the past few days, and he seems beyond friendly and just ready to help me with any problems I have.  I’m stoked.  I also learned more about my site and house!
Site Info:

I am living in the town Dondometeng (dawn-do-may-tang) in the Nandom district.  It is about as far northwest you can go without leaving Ghana.  It’s crazy!  I am also the first volunteer to come to this specific town, so that’ll be interesting too.  But still, beyond stoked!

Food:

There is a lot of farming in the area.  Eric told me there was tons of rice, yam, beans, chicken, fish, goat, PORK, CATTLE, sheep, eggs, pito (the local liquor), beer, MILK, fruit (from other parts of the country), bread, seasonal potatoes.  And I was also told Dondometeng is the heart of groundnuts.  Which are just like peanuts.  And they’re amazing.  And I’m excited. 

Water:

The main supply of water in the town is via borehole (which comes out of a spicket).  And it’s actually free!  So I can fetch water whenever I want with no concern!

Religion:

The predominant religion in my town is Catholicism.  Weird.  I was expecting it to be Islamic.  But was told there are some Muslims in the town, but mostly Catholics. 

Greenery:

Eric told me there were very few trees, but around the school there are some bushes and smaller plants.

School:

My school is Dondometeng JHS.  I live about 2km from school.  Currently, there is no math teacher.  Eric told me that there was one, but he left to further his education.  So they definitely need me!  The info sheet we got says the school has 130 students.  All of which are girls.  I didn’t ask Eric about that, but figured I would find out more once I got there.  Here is what my school does NOT have:  science lab, art studio, computer lab, library, and electricity.  So it’ll definitely be a challenge, but I’m optimistic.  The school year is split up into 3 terms.  Term 1 is from September to December.  Term 2 is from January to April.  And Term 3 is from May to July.  There is zero school during August.  So plan your trips to visit me accordingly. Haha!

Festivals:

There are 2 main festivals that happen in (or around) my town.  They are both similar in events.  They are the Kakube and Kabine Festival.  They happen in November and October, respectively.  It is mainly to show appreciation to God for good harvest after every farming season.   It lasts 3-4 days and is full of dancing, singing, a xylophone (ha!), and a display of cultural values.  So I’m pretty excited to see what those are all about!

House: 

Last but certainly not least.  My house.  I haven’t seen it yet.  All I am going off of is this info sheet they gave me.  I will be living in a bungalow.  Which could mean anything.  It is a school bungalow.  I have a KVIP toilet.  Which is kind of like an outhouse with a ventilation system.  I was told it’s just like the toilet I have at my homestay.  My bathroom is attached to my house.  Score!!  Source of power, you may ask?  On the sheet, there are 4 options.  Electricity, generator, solar, and lantern.  Can you guess which one is checked?  Yep…lantern!  No electricity for this girl!  Though Eric told me that the wiring is all there, they just need to finish it.  But I’m not getting my hopes up.  Though it would rock my socks off.  Eric also told me that there is internet at a nearby SHS I could use.  So that’ll be nice!!  I have a bed frame, writing table, and a chair.  There are 2 bedrooms, a sitting room, and a kitchen with a “sink”.  This kitchen I believe is just a space for what should be a kitchen.  There is no stove or anything.  The “sink” doesn’t have running water.  So I’m not sure what to expect.  But beyond excited nonetheless!

We leave for our sites tomorrow morning.  Most of us are leaving at 4:30am.  I love roadtrips, so I’m beyond excited.  Eric said we would leave tomorrow and get to site tomorrow.  So it doesn’t seem like it’s going to take us very long to get there.  After our site visit, we leave for job shadowing.  My job shadow is a fellow Peace Corps Volunteer in a town nearby.  I’m going to be staying with him and observing him while he teaches.  I’m really excited (can’t you tell?)  about the next week and a half.  It’s going to be amazing!!  I’m not sure how much time I’ll have to keep everyone updated, but I’ll do my best.  Since my camera is no more, Alex is letting me borrow his video camera.  Not sure if it takes pictures, but I’ll be able to shoot a video of my house and as much of the area as I can without “intruding” or looking like a fool.  Anyway, I should probably start packing (joy!).  Ahh!!  I seriously can’t wait!!

2 comments:

  1. I feel horrible that i can't find your camera. Also. you can google Dropbox. you can store all your pictures there. unless you use facebook for that. I am SOOO Sorry i can't find that camera! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow sounds awesome little sister!!! How lucky and truley blessed you are! Jesse said if u see a sugar monkey he wants one they are called pocket pets in america. Lol. Jesse had his tonsils out last monday he had a hard time coming out but is doing ok now. He wont be out of the danger till next week so keep him in your prayers. We miss and love you very much!

    ReplyDelete