Wednesday, July 11, 2012

rollercoaster


June 25, 2012

Today was filled with highs and lows. 

High:  I only had to teach one class today.

Low:  That one class was plain awful.  I had 11 kids show up late.  I wasn’t happy.  They have a 15 minute break right before my class, and they all walked in at random times.  I had the same issue last week.  And I scolded them.  This week, I made them all write their names on the board and stand up in the front of class while I scolded them.  During class, everyone was talking more than usual.  They weren’t paying attention, and some were even mocking me.  Joy.  I was teaching about vectors, so I was already struggling (because I don’t seem to remember a damn thing about them).  So this didn’t help.  When I was finally done with my lesson, I told the people who were late to go sit on the floor at the front of the class room.  That part of the floor was covered with chalk, so their clothes were going to get dirty.  I scolded them again.  I asked them “Did I seem very happy today?” and they all replied no.  I asked them what would make me happy and they responded with “Being on time.”  So hopefully tomorrow is a different story.  I didn’t have time to give them homework today, but you better believe they are getting homework tomorrow.  I also need to come up with more punishment ideas for those who don’t listen (i.e. those who don’t be quiet when I tell them).  It was just such a frustrating teaching day, and I felt terrible.  I knew days like this would happen, and that is exactly why we have practicum.  To help prepare us for such occasions at site. 

High:  I was able to go to the internet café again today.  Just relaxing and spending an hour away from everything was great.  Chatting with people definitely helped bring my mood up.  It was great.  But it made me miss everyone even more.  I wonder if I will be able to stay in touch more when I get to site.  We shall see.

Low:  The computer I was on at the internet café didn’t have Microsoft Word installed, so I couldn’t upload my blog.  Which wasn’t a huge deal at all.  I had maybe 2 entries to add since last time. I think I may go to another internet café later this week.  Perhaps Friday.  To celebrate the end of practicum!  Woot!

High:  We get to find out our language assignment on Friday!  Depending on the language, we may have a better idea of where in Ghana we will be living!!!  I am so stoked!!!  I can hardly wait!!!

High:  I finished my lesson plans fairly early tonight.  So I can go to bed early.  Or actually read!!  That’ll be amazing!!

High:  I happily helped my “sisters” finish their homework.  It was just a nice relaxing way to end the night.  I also had Aquia listen to music with me (Ama was already asleep in my room).  After 2 or 3 songs, Aquia fell asleep too.  I woke them up and told them we should all go to bed.  It was so precious. 

It’s amazing.  After such a rough day teaching, I have all sorts of high points that just make my day.  Even through the hard times, it’s important to see the good in things.  Looking at the good parts helps me realize and remember why I am here.  I want more than anything to be able to teach somebody something or help somebody in some way.  I may have done that today, but it didn’t necessarily happen in the classroom.  There are so many other ways that I can help or teach people.  I’m glad my day went the way it did.  It helped me realize this is definitely a hard job.  It helped me remember I have so much support behind the scenes.  It helped me appreciate the small ways I can help people.  Instead of just hoping for a better tomorrow, I hope to learn something tomorrow. 

Anywho, mah-bray-pah (I am very tired).  So may-co-dah (I am going to bed).  Sweet dreams to all and goodnight world.

No comments:

Post a Comment