Wednesday, July 11, 2012

‘nuff said


June 29, 2012

Today was just purely amazing.  It was our last day of practicum, and our collaborating teacher told us that we would teach for about 30 minutes and then spend the rest of the time answering any questions the students had for us.  It was so much fun.  They asked about my family back in America, my pets, where I was from, my last job, etc.  They asked me if I was married.  I said no.  They asked if I had a fiancé.  I said no.  They asked if I was dating.  I said no.  They just couldn’t believe it!!  They were shrieking and laughing at the idea, it was so funny!  One of my classes even asked me for my number.  Ha.  I don’t think so.  But it was still a lot of fun.  One of the girls in Form 1 (about 7th grade equivalent) told me I never taught her class a song.  Oops.  I forgot I had said I would.  After their break, my co-teacher (collaborating teacher) got Forms 1 and 2 together (that’s about 40-45 students) in one room, and I would teach them a song.  I was going to teach them the Hammer Song which was taught to us by Taj, our language coordinator.  After showing them how to do it, they all joined me in singing and doing the dance moves.  It was beyond amazing.  Hearing 40 voices in one echoing room, seeing smiling faces all around.  It gave me chills.  Honestly.  Then we had a photographer come and take pictures of us with all the students and staff members.  It was just such a fun day teaching, and I hope I have so many more days like today.

After we were finished with practicum, we had to meet in Anyinasin to discover what language we get to learn.  Knowing the language would give you a hint on what part of the country you’ll be spending the next 2 years.  I was pretty anxious/nervous/excited.  The verdict?  I am learning Dagaare!  Which is the language spoken in the Upper West Region!  Looks like I’m going to the north!!!  I also learned who would be in my language group.  It is just me and one other person learning Dagaare (Nicole).  Lou is learning a language that is in the northern region, and Ethan is learning one that is in the Upper East.  So it is the four of us in the north.  I’m so excited to get started learning a new language.  In a few weeks, we will (finally) get to see exactly where in the country we will be living.  That’s gonna rock.  But for now, all I know is that I will be in the Upper West region. 

Today is a big day for funerals in Anyinasin.  They pick specific days to hold funerals, and there were 3 that occurred today.  I spent most of my time at the funeral at the house next door.  The person who had passed away did so about a month ago.  So tonight, there is a huge celebration.  We walk in and see chairs spread out all over the indoor courtyard.  There is also an area of the courtyard that is curtained off.  That is where the body will be.  We are kind of just standing around talking (and waiting) when all of a sudden, we see people practically run in carrying something long wrapped in blankets.  Yep.  That’s the body.  We go sit down, and all of a sudden a marching band comes in.  For reals?!  That’s awesome!  They were playing super loud and everyone was dancing.  When the band would take a break, the DJ would play some music over huge speakers playing the loudest music in the town.  It was beyond loud.  We all got up and shook hands with all the people sitting in the front row (the family of the deceased).  They figured that since we were already out of our chairs, we should start dancing too.  It was so much fun.  I felt like a fool, but I didn’t care.  We all looked like fools.  They said the loud music would play until 4am.  During that time, family members would come in and go beyond the curtain and look at the body.  After 4am, the curtain would come down, and friends and neighbors were allowed to look.  Then around 1:30pm, the celebration moves to the cemetery.  Then there is a more formal session that happens on Sunday.  It’s such an interesting process, and it was so cool to get to experience such a celebrated occasion.  I love new cultures.  So much.  Except the music is still blaring and sleep doesn’t seem to be much of an option tonight.  I’m going to put my headphones in tonight, and if that doesn’t help, I have neon green ear plugs I need to test out.  In any case, today has completely reminded me that this is exactly what I was meant to do.  Purely amazing.  ‘Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment