Wednesday, July 11, 2012

schooooool’s out….for….today


June 20, 2012

I went to bed super early last night because I was exhausted, so I didn’t blog.  The JHS didn’t have to teach today because the schools were closed due to a Chief Ceremony.  Sooo….I GOT TO SLEEP IN! Until 8 o’clock!  It was glorious!  Anywho, teaching went well yesterday.  On our way to Kukurantumi, I took a taxi with Jim, Sara, and Mandee.  All of a sudden, the taxi hit a bump, I heard a clunk, and then I felt something roll under the cab beneath my feet.  I don’t think that was supposed to happen.  The taxi then had to go up a hill, and the driver pressed on the gas pedal.  Nothing happened.  It made a revving noise, but that was it.  I couldn’t help but laugh at the situation.  He got out of the taxi and flagged down an empty cab.  He told us to move to that one and it would take us to where we needed to go.  I don’t know why, but I found the whole situation to be hilarious.  It’s just typical travel in Ghana. 

We all went to The Golden Spot (aka The Spot) which is that bar right by my house.  We stayed for a couple hours and just escaped from the real world.  It definitely helps to have get togethers like that. 

After supper, I sat outside with my two “sisters” and my “grandmother”.  My “grandmother” had me sit right next to her on a bench, and she was teaching me Twi.  Every time I would try to say a word, I would immediately get it wrong, and she would just giggle at me.  It was so cute.  I love her.  I could (sort of) say the words last night, but I don’t remember a thing today.  She said she would teach me again, and this time I would write it all down.

I haven’t done much yet today, but I plan on leaving in about an hour to go observe my fellow volunteers as they teach art.  It’s going to be so cool.  I would love to teach art (if I knew anything about it)!!  It will also be nice to see how different a high school is compared to a junior high school.

It has been nice not to feel rushed this morning.  I woke up.  Ate my breakfast.  Drank two cups of coffee.  Brushed my teeth.  Sat around for a bit.  Went to bath.  And now I am sitting here blogging.  And I still have an hour before I have to be somewhere.  It’s great.  And hopefully after I observe, everyone will want to go to The Spot again.  Fingers crossed! 

If anything exciting happens later today, I will write about it.  Otherwise, ay-cheer-ee yee-bee-she-ya (see you later)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment