Wednesday, July 11, 2012

one large pizza and some water


June 24, 2012

Today was amazing.  It’s Sunday, so we didn’t have practicum or class today (wooooooot!).  Peace Corps organized an excursion day to Boti Falls.  This place has hiking and waterfalls (clearly).  We have to drive about an hour to get there, and we trek down 250 stairs to get to twin waterfalls.  It was gorgeous!  I still don’t have a camera, but I had people take a billion pictures for me (and with me).  We got to explore around the waterfall.  A bunch of us walked along the rocks behind the falls and got an entirely different view.  It was beyond beautiful.  And so peaceful. 

After leaving the falls (and climbing back up those 250 steps), we went on a hike.  It was pretty intense.  Lots of climbing and slipping and sliding and panting.  It was more than exhausting.  But totally worth it.  At one point, Tony (a Ghanaian Peace Corps staff member) yells “This is punishment!!”  It was soooo funny!!  I had to stop walking because I was laughing so hard and I didn’t want to slip and fall!  Anywho, it was so amazing to see all the landscape around us.  Tall trees, dark caves, huge rocks.  It was great.  After the strenuous hike, we ate lunch.  We were promised pizza…and Peace Corps delivered!!  It was an enormous and legit pizza slice with cheese, veggies, and meat.  AMAZING!  I love how we have only been here for 3 weeks, and we were dying for pizza.  It was sooooo deelish!

After lunch, they said we were going to go look at another waterfall.  We get to the site, and do some more hiking.  It’s a smaller (but just as beautiful) waterfall.  We were sitting on rocks just looking at it, when Tony notices it’s starting to sprinkle.  He tells all of us we have to get out of there and head for the bus.  It was such a light rain, all of us are hesitant on leaving.  But being in Ghana for only a few weeks, I’ve noticed these rain storms can get pretty extreme.  Tony knows this too, and screams “Run for your lives!!”  Haha!!  Seriously, that guy cracks me up!!  It was so funny!  We start walking back to the bus, and the rain picks up hardcore.  Alex, Angel and I decide to take cover under a tree until the rain passes.  We see others behind just start running towards the bus, so we do the same.  I brought my umbrella, so I pull it out, and simply walk to the bus.  It rained for a good 30 minutes (at least), and we had to wait for everyone to get back before we left.  Some people had stayed behind closer to the waterfall to wait it out.  We finally headed out, all soaked to the bone.  Despite all the mishaps, it was such a great adventure.  And I think everyone else agreed. 

We get back and all decide to work on lesson plans together at the Golden Spot.  It’s kind of nice having all teachers in this group, because we all have to prepare in the same manner.  So it was really nice having a giant “study group”.  We wrote our lesson plans and drank a few beers (which probably made our lessons more interesting).  It was very relaxing.

I come home and eat dinner, and hang out with Ama and Aquia.  We are kind of just sitting around, so I pull out my mp3 player and have them listen.  Well, I had Ama listen, because Aquia was angry with me at that point (I wouldn’t give her chocolate) and wanted nothing to do with me.  So Ama and I were lying down on the spare bed, sharing my headphones, and listening to music.  After a few songs ended, I looked over at Ama, and her eyes were closed.  How adorable.  She had fallen asleep.  It was so precious.  After a few more songs, I woke the girls up and made them go to bed.  Which is exactly where I am about to go.  It has been such an exhausting and exciting day.  I think I will do as Ama did, and fall asleep while listening to music.  Day-ee-ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment