Sunday, June 17, 2012

no homework, no chay-bays


June 15, 2012

It’s Friday!  But we still have class tomorrow.  Shucks.  Anyway, today was all about micro-teaching (where we taught a small group of Ghanaian students).  I think it went pretty well!  And the others in my group said I did a really good job, so yay!  It was a lot of fun, and it got me really excited for practicum next week!  I will be teaching 2 lessons a day every day at Presby School in Kukurantumi for the next 2 weeks.  The first week I will be teaching science, and the second I will be teaching math.  I have several 70 minute blocks!!!  Ahhh!!  I have never taught/presented for that long!  It will definitely be tough, but my counterpart (Ebenezer…a fellow Ghanaian teacher) gave me some ideas to take up time, and he said to let him know if I have any questions.  He was uber nice. 

We made our ways home, and I was really excited to spend some time with my family.  I just love them.  I took a bath, and then ate dinner.  My “mom” prepared banku.  I wasn’t hungry because I was soooo hot, so I told everybody (multiple times) that they were invited to eat with me (bay-dee-dee).  While we were all sitting around outside eating, my “grandmother” asked me if I had a husband.  I said no.  Then Kofi and his friend (whose name I do not remember) asked if I had a boyfriend.  I also said no.  They then asked “Why?!”.  It was such a fun conversation (no joke!).  Kofi ended up saying that his dream is to marry a white woman.  And his friend blurted out “I’m single!” :)  It was soooo funny!!  Everybody was laughing and having a good time.  It was just awesome.  Then we went to go fetch water!  We took 3 buckets with us and walked to the spicket.  For 10 pesawas, we could fill 2 buckets.  My bucket got filled, and my “mom” put a folded hand towel on my head and placed the bucket on top.  I was carrying water like a Ghanaian!!!  I had to keep my hands on the bucket, but I didn’t care!! It was amazing!!  Afterwards, I played with the girls (and I found out I should call them my sisters), and none of us had homework!  On the nights we do have homework, once we finish, I give the girls a treat.  I don’t really know what it is, but they say it is called “chay-bays”.  They asked me for some tonight since we had no homework, and I said “No homework, no chay-bays” with a smile.  They started laughing because they thought it was a funny sentence.  And they kept repeating it aaaallll night.  It was adorable.  We ended up just hanging out for most of the night.  They taught me a few Twi words too.  The night ended with bedtime hugs and goodnight kisses.  I taught them my signature move (putting your fingers in the shape of a heart and holding it up to your heart).  So my “sisters” and I do that to each other every night J  We have class tomorrow (on Saturday?! I know…no bueno).  But hopefully it isn’t too bad.  My “sisters” are going to walk me to class, so that’ll be fun.  And I hope I get bread again for breakfast!  And fruit!  Fingers crossed!  Day-ee-ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment