Sunday, June 17, 2012

nobody makes me bleed my own blood


June 8, 2012

We got to sleep in today!  The alarm went off at 7:30am. Woohoo!  At breakfast I had the usual roll and jam.  As a special treat, I had a hardboiled egg.  Yummmy!  They also have instant coffee in individual servings that has all the sugar and creamer already in the packet. You just mix it with hot water, and voila!  Hot coffee!  It’s soooo good.  The only downside is the fact that the knob on the hot water container is just as hot as the boiling water, so you either have to be careful or be burnt. 

We had a lot of informative talks afterwards about training overview and expectations.  We looked at a calendar of events that told us what the next 10 weeks would consist of. 
Following the talks, we had a short language lesson.  We went off of what we learned yesterday, and added a few more things.  The main topic we are focusing on is greetings.  We have learned how to say good morning, good afternoon, good evening, goodbye, and the responses to those phrases.  We also learned how to say “What is your name?” and “My name is…”.  Definitely very helpful things!

After learning Twi in a stuffy and humid room, the fun began.  Round 2 of vaccines.  I got a Hep A shot and a typhoid shot.  My “typhoid arm” is still soooo sore!  I can’t lift it above my shoulder.  Oh well.  I guess I’d rather have that pain than typhoid.  

After lunch, we had a malaria discussion.  Ooli, one of the PCMOs (Peace Corps Medical Officers) in Ghana, told us ways to help prevent malaria, ways to treat it, and what to do if it gets too bad.  There is a test you can do to see if you have malaria (which was part of this massive first aid kit we got today).  You have to prick your finger, suck the blood up into a tube, squeeze the blood onto the “test pad” thing, squirt a serum type liquid onto the test pad, and wait.  Different lines appear (kind of like a pregnancy test) telling you what type of malaria you have or if you are clear.  Ooli asked if anyone would like to volunteer, and my hand shot up.  I have no idea why!!  I was hoping the thing that pricked your finger would consist of you pressing a button and the needle would release.  But no.  It was this small metal looking strip that had a very sharp end that you stuck into your finger.  I worked up enough courage to stab my finger.  I squeezed the blood out, and Sam told me there wasn’t enough to take a sample.  Damn.  Try number 2.  I do the same thing, prick my finger, wince, squeeze.  Same thing.  Double damn.  Prick, wince, squeeze.  When I squeezed this time all sorts of blood came out of all the puncture wounds!  Woohoo!  I did everything I was supposed to, and after about 2 minutes of waiting, the result came back negative!!  So yay to being malaria free!!

Before dinner, we had to sign up for time slots for the talent show we are having tomorrow night. Ummm…what?!  I can’t do anything!  It took most of dinner, and most of after dinner activities to come up with something.  I am going to (try to) juggle!  I brought some bouncy balls to give to my homestay children, so I’m breaking those out and practicing tonight!  Hopefully I can still do it.  Fingers crossed on that one!

We had dinner, and afterwards we were told what tomorrow’s activities would consist of.  We get to partake in Accra Quest!  It’s kind of like The Amazing Race, but we don’t get $1 million at the end.  We divided into 6 groups, were given 10 cedis (local currency), and got handed a sheet of paper saying where in or around Accra we have to travel, what sites we need to see, and specific questions we need to answer.  I don’t have my sheet with me, but I know we are going to Accra to the main stadium and the National Theater.  There are a couple more things we get to see, but I can’t remember.  We have to be up at 6:00am to eat breakfast, and be on our way by 6:30am.  We have to walk outside the Valley View Compound, call a trotro (bus-like vehicle), and tell them where to take us.  I am beyond excited about this!! I LOVE The Amazing Race, and think this is soooo fun!  We get to use our language skills whenever possible and navigate our way through the city.  Sam and I have been practicing all night on our phrases without looking at our cheat sheet.  I’d say we’re rocking it.  Ahhh!!! I totally cannot wait for this quest!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment