Sunday, June 17, 2012

you can dance if you want to


June 16, 2012

Bread for breakfast again!! Yummm!!  And I had a banana.  Double yummm!  Today was also amazing.  The lectures were interesting (we talked a lot about differences in cultures and gender roles).  It was getting sooooo hot towards the end of the lectures, so we were done with classes early!  Yahoooo!  It was so hot because it was about to rain, so the humidity was just killer.  Lou is planning a PCT spaghetti luncheon tomorrow, and asked if a few of us would get some ingredients.  Sam’s “mom” owns a shop in town, so Sam, Ethan and I went to see what she had.  As we were looking, it began to pour.  Her shop is outside, but has a tin roof.  So you can imagine how loud it was under there.  I think we stayed under there for about 20 minutes.  We ended up buying some garlic and pepe (a very spicy…spice).  We still needed spaghetti noodles, so Sam and I decided to go to Kukurantumi for spaghetti, as well as an internet café!  We picked Angel up on the way to the taxi station.  Once we got into town, our taxi driver dropped us off at the internet café, and was told that the internet was down.  Shoot.  There was another café nearby, so we decided to get out and walk around.  Sam bought 3 packages of spaghetti, Angel bought a thing of hand soap, and I bought 3 small packages of sweet biscuits (cookies) for my family.  We walked to the other internet café, met so many friendly people along the way, and found out that the internet wasn’t working at this place either.  Double shoot.  It was getting dark, so we decided just to head back to Anyinasin. 

Once we got back, my whole family was so excited to see me!  That definitely makes this place feel more like home!  It’s so nice.  My “mom” had dinner waiting for me.  She made me rice, chicken, a boiled egg, and this spicy sauce she tried to feed me before.  Everything tasted beyond delicious (and I was hungry, too!).  Kofi came home later and had music playing on his phone.  He walked in and I told him I like his music.  He left his phone in the room for all of us to listen to.  We all started dancing a little on the couch, and then I made Ama and Aquia stand up and dance with me, and then my “mom” jumped up too!!  We were all dancing together to Ghanaian music and laughing and smiling.  It was so much fun! 

Side note:  my “mom” just walked past my window and said “Ama, are you sleeping??” (Ama is my Ghanaian name).  It scared the crap outta me!  Haha but it made me smile even more J  She is beyond sweet. 

Anywho, it was just such a fantastic day.  I am so grateful for having such an amazing homestay experience so far.  Tomorrow, I have to go to bath and do my laundry all before church at 9am.  Whew.  I wish I could sleep in past 7am.  Oh well.  I am just happy to have a break from class tomorrow.  It’s gonna be nice.  I hope these entries aren’t too boring for you.  If you want to know more or ask me questions, please don’t hesitate!!  Ask away!!  I want to spread this Ghanaian culture with everyone!  Much love to everyone.  Day-ee-ya!

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know....I read the entire thing...It's not boring at all...it's great...keep it up...I will check here almost everyday...I have so far :) So happy for you.

    We miss you. What do we have now 1 year and 11 months and like 2 weeks ;)

    ReplyDelete