Sunday, June 17, 2012

so long, farewell


June 4, 2012

Saying goodbye to everyone was definitely the hardest thing I’ve done during this Peace Corps adventure (thus far).  Everybody was so supportive and proud of me.  Which made it even harder.  But I am more than happy that I have such an amazing group of friends and family back home who are rooting for me every step of the way.  All of my flights to DC were amazing.  I didn’t get too sick or sleep too much.  I landed in DC at 5pm, and registration was from 6-7pm.  I was at a ticket kiosk printing off a shuttle ticket to the hotel when I hear someone say “Jessica?”.  Umm…what?!? Someone here knows me?? No way!  Turns out it was a fellow Peace Corps Trainee (PCT).  I found out that she had also flown out of Omaha, making the same stops, which means she was on the same plane as me the entire way.  Crazy!!  I get to the hotel and sign in, get my student loan papers faxed away, and then we all head to dinner.  We took a tram-like vehicle to Matchbox.  I had been told to eat as much cheese, burgers, and pizza that I could before we got to Ghana.  So, I ordered bacon cheddar sliders (that came with a mountain of onion straws) and 4 of us split a chicken pesto pizza. Deeeelish!  After dinner, a few of us decided to be tourists and walk through the National Mall and see all the monuments.  Unfortunately, a lot of them were closed, but we still managed to have a blast.  Meeting everyone for the first time and getting to know them really helped me realize this whole experience is going to be amazing.  I get along with everyone so well, so becoming great friends doesn’t seem like it’s going to be an issue.  It was definitely a great start to an even greater adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear from you....Looks like I have some reading to do :)

    ReplyDelete