Sunday, June 17, 2012

vaccines, the ambassador, and twi, oh my!


June 7, 2012

Today started early.  I had the alarm set for 5:30am.  I slept off and on all night.  At one point, I was convinced it was past 5:30 and Sam and I were late for breakfast.  I looked at my clock.  It was 12:45am.  My panic soon turned to absolute joy because I realized I would get almost 5 more hours of sleep!  I fell asleep, and woke up to the fan shutting off.  There is no way Sam would have shut it off, so it only meant one thing.  The power on the compound had gone off.  Which is entirely common.  We just have to get used to it.  It was hard going back to sleep feeling so hot, but I finally did, and woke up in plenty of time for breakfast. 

We all ate then rode to Accra where we would get medical interviews, vaccines, complete banking and admin forms, and learn a little Twi.  We were split into 4 groups.  My group got to learn Twi first.  It’s definitely a lot easier to learn a language when someone is teaching you rather than on your own.  However, it was still very difficult to get the proper pronunciations. I understand it for the most part, but am having a hard time verbalizing it.  Oh well.  It was only our first lesson.  After our language lesson, my group went to go work on setting up a bank account and filling out residency forms.  After more than an hour filling out paperwork, but we finally got everything set up!  We broke for lunch, where I drank coconut water out of an actual coconut.  Which proves to be a lot harder than you would think!  I then proceeded to the most dreaded part of the day.  Medical.  We all waited patiently in the lobby, where the 2 doctors would call us in one at a time.  I saw everybody walk into the room, and after about 20 minutes, walk right back out.  Didn’t seem too difficult.  I was the last one to get called.  After looking at my charts, the doctor determined I need about a million vaccines.  Awesome.  I would get 2 today, more tomorrow, and even more in the weeks to come.  I was worried that I was the only one who had to get so many shots because nobody had said anything about needing so many more.  But the doctor reassured me and said everyone was pretty much in the same boat.  She stabbed me with 2 needles to protect against rabies and Hep B.  My arm is still sore.  We got medical kits that had our malaria pills and other first aid items like ibuprofen and bug spray.  It wasn’t your typical bug spray.  It looked like a glue stick that you sort of just rubbed onto your body.  We figured we would call it bug spread instead of spray.  Just seemed more fitting. 

After our long day in Accra, we had to change into nicer clothes because we had been invited to a party at the US Ambassador’s house.  Drinks were being served and appetizers were being brought out on trays.  This was amazing!  I have never been to a party like this before!  How cool!  The Ambassador came and chatted with everybody.  He came to a group of us and we talked for about 20 minutes or so.  He seems like such a great guy with a heart for foreign service.  I had such a fun time at this party mingling with my fellow trainees and also people who worked at the Embassy.  It was great, but tiring.  The party came to an end, and I fell asleep on the bus ride home.  We all met again for dinner (I was nowhere near hungry since I had 3 glasses of wine and a ton of appetizers), but ate anyway.  Mostly watermelon.  Soooo delicious.  And now I am debating on whether I should wait until morning to take a cold shower or just do it now.  The alarm is set for 6:30am.  Woohoo!  One more hour of sleep than last night!  I think I’ll cool off with a shower and collapse.  I know it’s only day 2 on the job, but so far, this has been more than amazing.  I love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment